Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What Ifs


I often spend time fantasizing about what it would be like, as a woman, to have a mother. I have seen examples of women who’s mothers are their best friends. I also know of women who can only tolerate their mothers in small doses. I have heard of women who resent their mothers, and even women who are not speaking to their mothers. Mother and daughter relationships can vary so much. Since I was only five when I lost my mother, I really have no experience, or at least no recollection of my relationship with my mother. It is something that I am so curious about. If my mother was alive today, who would she be to me?

There are so many possibilities, when I think about it, of how things could be for me if I had a mother at this point in my life. Would I be able to call her up anytime and say, “Mom, I’m dying here. I really need a break. Could I drop the kids off for a couple of hours?” Oh, how I envy the women who have that kind of relationship with their mothers.

Would she have been by my side during those first weeks of being a new mother, cooking, cleaning, walking with the baby so I could have the sleep I so desperately needed? Would I spend hours upon hours every week talking with her, or having marathon phone conversations? Would we come up with absurd skits together, and laugh our faces off at each other? Would we sing together in harmony, bake together at Christmas, and spend hours out together, having lunch and shopping? Would I help her to stay young by keeping her in stylish clothes and hip hairdo’s? She would be sixty-five now, had she lived. Maybe she’d be completely gray and wearing unflattering, unfashionable clothes. Would that matter to me?

Maybe my mom and I would be too different. Maybe we wouldn’t always get along so well, and avoid spending time together. It’s possible that my mom would not have appreciated my sense of humour. I’ve learned that she had a great sense of humour. She loved Carol Burnett. She was also a lover of good and pure things. Sometimes when I write, or even speak, my thoughts can come across as bold, even questionable. I have a feeling that my mom might not have been able to deal with my candidness, at times.

If my mother had lived, would I be the same woman I am today? Would I be more successful in the eyes of the world? Would I have less emotional baggage - less regrets? Would I have done more things to my full potential? Would I have been a scholar because I had my mom to keep me on track, support me, help me and guide me? Would I have experienced less disappointment, and wasted less time because my mother was there to give me that kick in the butt that I needed so badly? Would I be a better writer, musician, actress, and artist, because she was so strong in those areas? Maybe I wouldn’t even like the arts, because I could have been one of those women who does NOT want to become her mother.

I could have been more rebellious, had I had a mother. Being one of six children raised by my dad, I didn’t have rules, so much as expectations. I think, rather than verbally giving us rules of what NOT to do, my dad led by example, hoping that guilt would keep us in line. Guilt did keep us in line most of the time. We love our dad so much, that doing anything that would hurt him would be too much guilt to bear. Did we never go astray? No. We definitely did. But knowing the pain that we could cause our dad, we protected him as much as possible, and it helped us to get back on track. Maybe if mom had lived, we wouldn’t have worried so much about disappointing our dad, because he had her to lean on.

I could speculate on so many things, but it all comes down to the fact that I didn’t know my mother. I have read her journals and gathered bits and pieces of information from family and friends who knew her, which has really helped me to feel that I know some things of what she was like. Do I feel ripped off? Of course I do! It doesn’t mean that I think my life would be 100 percent better if she was alive, it just means that I was robbed of the experience of knowing my mother. I can go on forever with the what ifs and the maybes, but the reality is that I will never know what it’s like to have a mother. So for now, I will continue to fantasize about my life if things had been different - if that one tragedy that defines me had never happened.

3 comments:

  1. I'm posting this comment for my Aunt Gwen, who tried, but it didn't work for her. She sent this lovely message to my inbox.
    "I tried to post this on your blog but it wouldn't let me.

    Dear Tara.......I'm in tears after reading your blog. I guess I never realized how much you really did miss out on. I was too busy with my own kids that it just didn't fizz on me what you might not have. I'm sorry. Now, I do know in my heart that your mother would have supported you in every step you took, whether it be good or bad. You would be able to call her and ask for help. If you mother had lived, you would be the same woman you are today. You would be as successful in the eyes of the world. You might still have the same emotional baggage. No matter what you did she would have kept you on track, supported you, helped you and guided you. You might have experienced less disappointment, and wasted less time because she was there to kick you in the butt. You are a writer, musician, actress, and artist. You are very much like your Mother.

    Of course you feel ripped off and cheated about not having a mother. I miss her so much too. I feel cheated about not having a big sister to enjoy my kids as much as I enjoy hers. You guys are so very special to me. I can never replace your mother but please no that I'm there for you in all you do. I am so proud of all you accomplishments in life. You are a wonderful mother, sister and niece. Don't change. I love you.

    Aunt Gwen"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tara;
    We were ripped off, and perhaps we will never understand the whys, but I agree with Melanie - our tragedy has bonded us with cement, and maybe we have not achieved all we would have if she had been here, but instead we have triumphed over tragedy, and still become amazing, talented, wonderful mothers (and fathers). I miss my mother too, and I often wonder what if, but I am also filled with gratitude that we are still together and loving eachother, and strong in the gospel - that would hurt her the most I think, if we didn't hang on that way. I think she would be so proud of all we have accomplished despite our loss, and I believe she has been here along the way, in spirit, and I too look forward to the day when we can spend time with her. I often fantasize that she would have drove us crazy at times! You are definitely a lot like her, but you know how I drive you nuts with my spirituality, well, that was like her! We all need to write a book! I could go on and on, but will just say that I love you beyond measure, and in small ways have tried to be there for you over the years, but I know I failed many times because of my own struggles. You have a wonderful husband and family, and many things to look forward to in this life - just keep being the best mother you can - that can be our legacy to her!!
    Bronwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bronwen, I agree with everything you've said. I hope that this blog, in no way, made it seem like you, or any of my siblings did not do everything you could for me; because you absolutely did! With mom's death came HUGE responsibilities for both you and Melanie - ones that were beyond your experiences and maturity. You guys did awesome! What would I have ever done without you? Considering children who lose their mother and do not have siblings by their side to help them through life, is the unthinkable for me. But, I just can't help but wonder what life would have been like if she'd been here.

    ReplyDelete